Health Assessment: A Learning Package
by Deborah Padgett-Coehlo RN, Ph.D., C-PNP
CHAPTER: Physical Examination Techniques
This unit is intended to provide an
overview of concepts used during the physical examination portion
of the health assessment.
The CD-ROM overview presentation provides
new glossary terms for this unit.
Upon completion of this unit, the learner
will be able to:
- Understand the difference between
physical examination by Body Systems examination versus
Head-to-toe versus Functional Health Pattern approaches.
- Understand and demonstrate preparation
of a client for the physical examination, including
consideration of privacy, safety, and positioning.
- Understand the importance of a
systematic approach to the physical examination.
- Understand and demonstrate the four
procedures used during the physical examination and the
order used for each system, including
observation/inspection, percussion, palpation, and
- Describe the equipment used during the
- Read Chapter 3, Seidel. 1999. Mosby's
Guide to Physical Assessment. St. Louis:
- Video: Comprehensive Physical
- Video: Overview of Data Collection
- Video: Universal Precautions
- View CD-ROM presentations in this unit
- Take Quiz: Overview of Physical
- View Video Tape: Physical Examination
Overview on Comprehensive Physical Examination
- Practice history and physical on your
- Document your findings on the
- Demonstrate skills during the final
Back to Table of Contents